Thursday March 20: 7:30-10:00pm
"Subject: Learning Differences in Gifted Children"
You are invited to come join a parent-to-parent discussion on common myths, misdiagnosis and an overview of learning differences in gifted children. .Thanks, in advance, to those parents who have agreed to prepare a short presentation of their personal stories.
Group's new name (Gifted in France, GiF); upcoming events; goals...
2. DVD PRESENTATION: :15-minute documentary (still in the making) Misdiagnosis of Gifted Children: (Just arrived today!)
"Misdiagnosis of gifted children is a widespread problem, but still largely unknown to health professionals, counseling professionals, educators and parents. To save our children from inappropriate treatment, and to prevent their social and intellectual hindrance, we must educate people about the potential for misinterpreting characteristics of giftedness as symptoms of pathology." https://ss40.shared.server-system.net/~sengifted.org/documentary.shtml
3. INTRODUCTION OF TONIGHT'S TOPIC AND HANDOUT:
4. PRESENTATION OF PERSONAL STORIES BY PARENTS:
1. Overview of Learning Differences; Twice Exceptional Children, and Terminologies.
2. How a child's giftedness can mask or overlap with ADD. What to look for in a professional when you're starting out, what to avoid.
3. What is Dyspraxia? Searching for help.
4. Convergence Insufficiency: What is it, and why is it so difficult to detect when it should/could be so easy. What you should know.
4. Floor open to other parents who would like to contribute their experience.
5. Q and A.
6. Where do we go from here? What are our goals until the end of June and for the rentree 2008?
Recommended Books: http://www.amazon.com/Misdiagnosis-Diagnoses-Gifted-Children-Adults/dp/0910707642
(there'll be more recommendations from other parents.)